Raise your hand if you love Reese’s peanut butter cups (I’ve got mine up right now!) It’s been one of my faves ever since I was little. I remember trading Halloween candy with my siblings… anything they wanted for their Reese’s peanut butter cups. I even remember eating off the edges first, and saving the peanut butter middle for last.
Ahhhh… those were such good times!
Now that I’m older, I still snack on those peanut-y cups of goodness, but I prefer making my own DIY version that tastes just as good as the real thing, but actually has some nutritional value.
These bars are one of my fave healthier things to make because they’re SO easy and don’t need baking. They’re also perfect for a post-workout or post-match snack, or for when you’re craving a sweet mid-afternoon pick-me-up that won’t give you a sugar crash later.
And guess what? They also pack close to 9g of protein per bar!
Delicious Peanut Butter Cup Protein Bars
- ¾ cup organic peanut butter creamy
- ¼ cup raw honey or coconut palm syrup, if vegan
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal ground
- ½ cup your fave protein powder vanilla or plain
- 10 ½ oz your fave 85% dark chocolate bar
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling on top
- In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, vanilla together until smooth.
- Add in ground flaxseed meal and protein powder of choice. Use a spoon to mix together until you can’t anymore, then use clean hands to help work together. The batter should be similar to cookie dough.
- Press into an 8x4 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Make the chocolate layer by adding 2.5 ounces of dark chocolate to a small saucepan and melting until completely smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter layer and tilt the pan so that the chocolate covers the peanut butter layer entirely.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour before slicing into 10 bars or squares (either works but I love squares the most). Store covered in the fridge until ready to eat.